Sunday, April 3, 2011

St. Patricks Day!

St. Patrick's Day can be a really fun holiday to celebrate.
This year we learned a little about the history of the holiday. Basically that St. Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland around 400 A.D..
Mainly though, I think March 17th is a day to enjoy Irish culture, and music is one of the best parts of Irish tradition. Earlier in the year I heard a law school friend, Jenilyn, play some Irish fiddle music and the idea was sparked to have a concert/night-of-music or "jam session" as she calls it.
It was one of the funnest nights I've had in a long time! The kids grabbed toy instruments and the adults dusted off real ones. There was a storm of music in our little apartment. Jenilyn brought some really fun music for us to sing and play. She fiddled so hard that she had to sit down and wait for her (third trimester) uterine contractions to subside.


We tried some tasty bread, cabbage, potatoes, and corned beef. Then Jenilyn shared her own (green) mint ice cream birthday cake. mmm... It would be great to make this a tradition!
Thanks Jenilyn!


2 comments:

Rachel said...

looks like you have some great friends there. i love that you share music together.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for hosting that event, Candace. It really was a wonderful and fun celebration--and I learned things I never knew about St. Patrick's Day. Good times! We're sure going to miss you guys next year.