Friday, April 24, 2015

Spotlight on Michael

The first week back to school this year was Michael's "Virtue week".  That means I came to his class with a photo poster of him and talked about some of his character traits and strengths.  Then by the end of the week the students each wrote a letter to Michael telling him about the virtues they have noticed in him.  
   
I was really interested to read the observations of Michael's classmates.  Nearly all of the letters thanked Michael for being a kind and thoughtful friend (even the girls'!).  At home I really appreciate Michael's understanding of how to help me and his siblings.  His classmates and his family love his clever sense of humor.  It was also interesting to me that Michael brought the letters home in his take-home work and hasn't yet read any of them.  He usually does seem to base his confidence and motivation on internal sources.  Overall he's a pretty good kid. :)   

Here are some pictures of things he has been doing lately:
Michael as a contestant in the school spelling bee  
The judges panel was slightly intimidating, but I was proud that he was excited to join in.  
Michael loves to explore new places, from downtown excursions to hikes in the canyon.
He also wants to try out and learn new skills.  The latest has been Jr. Jazz and shooting baskets at the hoop in our culdesac.
It was fun that Jared helped to coach the team!
This one captures some of his silliness with the cub scout cotton-ball activity.

No comments: